This is from sometime in 2010!
What Williams said?
She noted how people were running to and fro without any real direction because the TSA people didn’t really have much of a plan except to get everyone REALLY, REALLY scared.
My response was twofold...
First I said, you get what you pay for, knowing that the TSA doesn’t pay especially well and the people doing the job are for the most part not that much better trained than the folks manning the lobby stations in most office buildings.
Second, CAN WE STOP?
My friend is a woman in her mid seventies who has lived in this country her entire life. This idea that we shouldn’t profile people is probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.
WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO BE DOING IF NOT PROFILING?!!??!?
On September 11th a bunch of Arab men bought one way tickets to LA with cash and boarded a flight in Portland, Maine... maybe that should have set off alarm bells?
Instead our response to these things is to put everyone through the ringer because we don’t want to be accused of bias.
When the Grey Panthers start hijacking planes and flying them into buildings let’s target them but until then can we give the seniors a pass at the airport if they’re people who are from this country and not Muslims?
And Juan Williams actually got fired for common sense.
Wow!Juan Williams got fired for being honest. Being honest though is something that long ago fell out of favor in our society. Maybe the lesson here is that you can write about Civil Rights, you can be open in your views but you won’t get a pass from the Left if you don’t buy entirely into their narrative.
This regular writing stuff CAN be a chore if you let it. Unfortunately, right now I have no excuse and am feeling as if I have been very lazy the last few days.
I was going to mention what happened to Juan Williams which is just another example of Political Correctness run amok...
What Williams said?
“Look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”
Some observers have questioned whether NPR actually fired Williams for making the comments on Fox News, as opposed to making them in another forum. William Saletan of Slate.com compared the Williams situation to that of Shirley Sherrod, saying that both Sherrod and Williams had their words taken out of context in a way that made them appear racist and led to the loss of their jobs, except that Williams was victimized by liberals, rather than conservatives as in Sherrod’s case. Saletan said that while Williams’ confessed fears of Muslims were “unsettling,” the context was Williams' argument that such fears should not be used to curtail the rights of Muslims or anyone else, and that Williams consistently argued that Muslims in general should not be blamed for the terrorist activities of Muslim extremists. NPR has been criticized by Williams and others for practicing a double standard in the firing, compared to their not firing Cokie Roberts, Nina Totenberg and other NPR reporters and analysts for their opinionated statements.Ultimately, the people at NPR who fired him paid a price themselves...
NPR’s top news editor resigned Thursday after an internal review found that the Washington news organization mishandled the firing of news analyst Juan Williams over controversial remarks he made on a TV program in October.Look, I saw a friend of mine not too long ago and she was bemoaning her experiences traveling. Particularly she talked about the TSA and their ineptitude in shutting down a terminal at the airport when someone found a crockpot that had been there for two days when a person realized they likely wouldn’t be able to get that through security.
In an additional piece of fallout from the firing, NPR’s board voted to cancel the annual bonus of NPR's chief executive, Vivian Schiller, who supported the decision to fire Williams and made some ill-timed comments about it, for which she later apologized.
She noted how people were running to and fro without any real direction because the TSA people didn’t really have much of a plan except to get everyone REALLY, REALLY scared.
My response was twofold...
First I said, you get what you pay for, knowing that the TSA doesn’t pay especially well and the people doing the job are for the most part not that much better trained than the folks manning the lobby stations in most office buildings.
Second, CAN WE STOP?
My friend is a woman in her mid seventies who has lived in this country her entire life. This idea that we shouldn’t profile people is probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.
WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO BE DOING IF NOT PROFILING?!!??!?
On September 11th a bunch of Arab men bought one way tickets to LA with cash and boarded a flight in Portland, Maine... maybe that should have set off alarm bells?
Instead our response to these things is to put everyone through the ringer because we don’t want to be accused of bias.
When the Grey Panthers start hijacking planes and flying them into buildings let’s target them but until then can we give the seniors a pass at the airport if they’re people who are from this country and not Muslims?
And Juan Williams actually got fired for common sense.
No comments:
Post a Comment